Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Quilting the QFC Horse Quilt

Thought I'd share how nicely the QFC Horse Quilt for the Boy's Home in Missouri is coming along.  16 1/2 quilting hours later, this is what I have so far:

Quilting the Horse Quilt sideways w/McTavishing & ruler work

Because I like to be as efficient as possible, I'm quilting both Quilters for Comfort quilts - the Horse Quilt and the Jungle Animal quilt sideways to be able to take advantage of one backing and one batting.  An added bonus for the Horse Quilt is the crosswise grain of the back helps with the stretchy red corduroy blocks.  Just look how nicely they quilted out:

Not a single pucker in the 'stretchy red corduroy' squares ;-)

And as you probably noticed, I changed the thread color I originally opted to use to a wonderful cotton tri-color thread that matched the fabrics in this quilt perfectly.  Just look at how this variegated thread plays out so well in the borders w/McTavishing quilting:

Don't you just love this bowed head embroidered horse block...just beautiful!

Quilting these gorgeous embroidered horses has been a true pleasure.  Here's a close-up of another beautiful embroidered horse:

McTavish quilted w/Superior's clear Monopoly

I also SID-ed w/clear monopoly as I usually do - worked wonderfully well.  I like to wind my own bobbins w/Maxi-lock when using clear monopoly.  This thread combo seems to work the best for me recently, along with Quilter's Dream poly batting - my absolute favorite!

And now, like I always say, time to get back to it...
~Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment