Tuesday, January 13, 2015

First QOV of the New Year comes off the frame...At Last!

This Quilt of Valor may hold the record for being on a quilt frame the longest...at least on 'my' quilt frame.  Been trying to quilt this QOV since before Thanksgiving!  You may remember, Miss Betty decided to develop an attitude and threw herself out of time.  After getting some new 'Timing Tools' plenty of much-needed timing knowledge, and several bouts of trial and error coupled w/flu, she's back to quilting ;-).  Here's that 'Thanksgiving' Quilt of Valor - now the first 2015 QOV to come off my frame, and doesn't it look neat?

Gold & Blue QOV coming off the frame...At last!
This entire quilt was quilted with LAVA Diamond Head - one of my very favorite threads to quilt with, especially on a Gold & Blue w/white Quilt of Valor!

Naturally, Dave Hudson's Random Stars panto is the star of the 'interior':

Random Stars panto by Dave Hudson in the interior
w/special border treatments to go with
I've used my own version of Jamie Wallen's continuous swirls in several quilts now - they're fast, effective, and most importantly...FUN!


They look really neat done in variegated threads, like LAVA Diamond Head, King Tut Freedom, and Rainbows Patriotic.


I struggled a bit to discover just the right quilting design for the gold sashing border.  Angela Walters to the rescue!



Her 'Wishbone' quilting motif - or what I like to refer to as the 'Crazy 8', was perfect for this border, and sooo much FUN, I'll definitely be using it again in future quilts.

Angela Walters' Wishbone quilting motif, aka "Crazy 8"
My version is a little more whimsical than hers but - that's the beauty of custom quilting, isn't it?

Swirls and Wishbone border w/McTavished navy border
I featured the navy border w/McTavishing in a previous blog here:  http://donebybettyboop.blogspot.com/2015/01/new-year-resuming-quilting-quilt-of.html

This Gold & Blue Quilt of Valor was wonderful to quilt - once I was finally able to quilt it...At Last!

And now, time for some binding and to embroider a special Gold & Blue QOV quilt label.

Adding the finishing touches to the binding
Back of the quilt and quilting



Finished Navy/White/Gold Quilt of Valor


Later,
~Deb

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! So glad you are back up and running. I got my machine retimed yesterday and finally finished the QOV I started on New Years. What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Cam hardly wait to see ALL those gorgeous Quilts of Valor you'll be quilting - you are such a QOV find!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete