Friday, March 2, 2012

First Charity Quilt for 2012...Finally!

I was once again beginning to wonder if I would ever get to finish any of my charity quilts - was finally able to finish this one and I think it turned out surprisingly well considering it was created on the fly:

'Dumbo' coming off the frame

Because I had a dimension requirement, kept adding alternate color and white boarders around the embroidered blocks until I achieved the desired results.  I had to piece the final border by combining the white and the circle fabric w/all four colors used in the previous smaller boarders, since I didn't have enough of the circle fabric to create continuous boarders. Surprisingly, I think it actually added to the overall design and an element I will keep in mind for future reference.

While top stitching the binding, I like to use a Juki compensating foot on my Viking MegaQuilter to get just the right distance from the edge of the binding for a perfect finish, works great every time:

Top stitching the binding w/compensating foot

I use 2 1/2" strips to create double fold binding by folding/pressing wrong sides together in half lengthwise, stitching to the 'back' of the quilt first using a quarter inch seam allowance, rolling to the front and top stitching down an 1/8" from the edge.  This creates a real durable finish that will stand up to commercial washings - great for charity quilts, too.


Turned out great w/multiple colored binding strips

And it's already been packed and shipped to the intended ;-)  Now, if I only had the other 3 quilts finished, along w/two baby quilt gifts that were supposed to be completed over 2 weeks ago!  To say I'm waaay behind on my 2012 UFO goals would be a huge understatement but, with ALL the construction still going on around here, I'm grateful I've been able to finish what I have to date sooo...like I always say...time to get back to it!

Later,
~Deb





No comments:

Post a Comment