Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Time out for some Pillow Cases...

I took a little time out from quilting to make some (flannel) pillow cases I had promised for our online quilting group - Quilter's for Comfort, here's our link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quiltersforcomfort/   We typically do quilts for various charities throughout the country and this time we added pillow cases ;-)  I had fun making mine - I even made a few extras for gifts, and here's some pics:

I love the PEACE sign cuff fabric (far left w/blue) and wish I had more!

Even though I have a serger and it's probably a little quicker to use one for the seams, I like to do French Seams on pillowcases.  I think they look a little more finished and possibly more durable for commercial laundering making them great for charitable projects:

This is the inside/wrong side of the pillowcase w/French seam sewn

I also like to top stitch the outside cuff in place prior to stitching the final seams:

Gotta love that Juki compensating foot - I use it ALL the time for top stitching, including for bindings!

And one of the finished pillowcases w/top stitching in place:

The top stitching gives a nice finished look and helps to stabilize the cuff and keep it in place

If you'd like to make your own fast & fun pillowcases, here's a link to a youtube video by Missouri Star Quilt Company that's one of the best I've seen to date:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrYWCma9wgM

Have FUN!
~Deb

2 comments:

  1. Deb, just joined your blog - how cute it is! And also thanks for the mention to QFC. Also, I really like your photo album to the right - nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie for your nice words and WELCOME! to our little group, we hope to see more of you again soon ...;-)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete