Wednesday, March 21, 2012

More Construction Updates...

The walls are starting to go UP...

First floor side walls in place and trusses for second floor getting set - these trusses were BIG & Heavy!

Another view from the front:

Front view of crane from the road - the crane was BIG, too ;-)

One more view from the pond side, I just couldn't resist and I needed to take my golden bears (retrievers) for a dip, they were getting hot just watching:

It only took 3 1/2 hours for them to put ALL the trusses in place - I thought it would take ALL day!

And now for the roof:

Starting to actually look like a real building!

Not too bad - and some of the doors and windows arrive tomorrow, just in time before the rain sets in ;-)

So what am I doing when I'm not taking pictures?  Well, believe it or not, been a little busy with a couple of projects of my own.  

I'm in the middle of two baby quilts for gifts, here's pics of one of the embroidery blocks for one of the quilts:

Turning out adorable, don't ya think?

While the blocks are getting embroidered, I decided to make a few Bow Tie blocks from Bonnie Hunter's cheddar challenge - it's actually from 2011, but I'm running a little behind trying to get caught up:

Sorry for the glare, but they're turning out great!  

I love to chain piece and these cheddar and scrappy Bow Tie blocks are perfect for that - here's a better pic:

Aren't these too cute?!

Bonnie's directions call for 2" squares and 1 1/4" squares for the smaller 'snowball-type' blocks.  I tweaked that to accommodate my 2 1/2" jelly roll strips that I have a ton of and am committed to thinning down this year so my blocks are 2 1/2" squares w/1 1/2" smaller squares and finish out raw at 4 1/2" and 4" finished in a quilt, which are numbers I like to work with ;-).

I've also been doing a little practicing on my new-ish HQ16 longarm whenever I get stressed out, I just walk over and quilt for awhile - it works!  And I'm starting to improve on my free-motion feathers:

Practicing on this marked top has taught me a lot!  Still have more to learn, but I'm gettin' there...

AND, I got the crooked quilt bound:

I like to use a blind hem/applique stitch turned down to a low setting to give the effect of hand stitching, the walking foot helps keep everything nice and straight!

Washed and ready for it's destiny - I think it may end up on a guest bed in the new studio, I'll keep you posted

And when I get bored ;-), I also go out to my former quilting studio - now back to a garage, and put together furniture for my youngest daughter who's moving into her first house this weekend:

This is the dresser - ready to be put together...

Here's the finished chest:

It's chocolate brown w/brushed nickel hardware - not too bad for contemporary/modern...

I already did the bed, quilt and curtains - whew!  At least I don't have to worry about that!!  But there's shelving to paint and I'm in charge of hanging ALL the drapes/curtains - I can hardly wait ;-)

I'll share more later but for now - gotta get back to it...


No comments:

Post a Comment