At first, I thought it was me and my lack of experience, but after working with it for awhile, I came to realize my x-axis was not engaging properly and was causing all kinds of problems with irregular stitching, stops and starts, and just a plethora of issues. I noticed the same issues when trying to use the stitch regulator on my last practice quilt - the whole-cloth stenciled quilt, which is why I quilted 90% of it in manual mode free-hand. However, once I figured out what the actual challenge was, I was able to compensate well enough to get some fairly good stitching in, just can't SID cross-ways ;-)
Freehand stipple quilting w/stenciled hearts and crosshatched diamond borders
Improvement is Good!
The blue marks are chalk marks from pouncing in the stencil. I was able to use my SR while quilting in the heart stencil pattern and for the diamond cross-hatching and the corner stones, but I had to go back to manual mode for the stipple quilting, since the x-axis was causing too many erratic stitches.
SR Stitch irregularities really show up on cross-hatching - notice the 2nd & 3rd diamond's large stitches :-(
Hopefully my software upgrade will arrive next week and will 'fix' my SR problem - we'll keep our fingers crossed...
Starting to 'like' how this is turning out...;-)
In spite of all the challenges w/SR, this was still really FUN and I learned I like ruler work so...like I always say...time to get back to the FUN!
Finished quilting - need some binding!
UPDATE 11/27/2012: This Hearts of Blessings quilt will be shipping to a Hurricane Sandy survivor through a Bonnie K. Hunter connection. Please follow this link for more information: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/11/more-quilts-for-sandy-survivors.html
Have a Great Weekend,