Sunday, May 5, 2013

Quilting the Problem Child...

Just about everyone has come across a problem child/quilt top at least once in their quilting career - I've had a few myself...remember the 'Crooked Quilt'?  I acquired my most recent problem child a couple of months ago, and while I kind of knew it had a few 'issues', I guess I didn't go over it and take note of just ALL it's apparent challenges, which showed up quite well while I was loading it on the frame.  Here are just a few pics of what I'm talkin' about:

 Fullness/puckers/tucks in pink borders (among others ;-)

uneven piecing of pink sashing borders             .
                 Puckered center blocks and borders...

Oh boy, what FUN this is going to be!  After debating on whether to go ahead and quilt this puppy or not, I finally decided it would be another great learning experience and besides, time was running out.  I had committed a quilt to a charitable organization and I didn't have time to make one from scratch, so since time was a-wastin', decided to just go for it since it was already loaded:

McTavishing the pink borders helped take out ALOT of the fullness

Floral motif in center denim square,(borrowed from Angela Walters), w/stippling on outside denim areas.  The stippling has virtually the same effect as the McTavishing in that it can eat up ALOT of the extra fullness and puffiness in the denim areas.

Oh yeah - did I forget to mention this unique quilt top is made from denim scraps and pink poly?  I just love a good challenge ;-).

And it seems to be quilting out fairly well so far:


Certainly it won't be perfect, because there's just so much a quilter and quilting can do, but I think it will turn out far better than I originally thought, and once again I will have gained some great experience on quilting one more 'problem child/quilt top' and some lucky (?) girl is going to get one 'wonky' quilt.  I think I'm going to name this one, 'Pinked Out in Wonky Denim'.  If you come up with a better name, drop me a line and let me know.

And now, time to get back to it...

Later,
~Deb

6 comments:

  1. I don't very often quilt for others except in relation to QFC, but I've had a few quilts that have those wavy borders or 'gathered' blocks.... Yep, the quilting can hide many 'evils' :-)
    Love your quilting, you'll make that problem child behave just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss Katie for the encouraging words - I'm still workin' at it ;-)
      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I think you are doing a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Maresa - how nice of you to stop by and leave such niceties...
      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I think you have already found it the perfect name. Great job you've done with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa - and Thank You for stopping by!

      Hope to see you again real soon,
      ~Deb

      Delete