Thursday, December 8, 2016

Clue #2 of En Provence Underway w/Updates!

After a brief delay getting started on Clue #2 of our latest Bonnie Hunter Mystery, En Provence, our second clue is now in progress!

Here are the first 25+ completed units of Clue #2:

25+ and counting!

After a good light pressing, time for some pruning to ensure ALL my units are the correct size:

Pruning is good!

And just a few more to stitch together and we're golden ;-)

The rest of Clue #2 - all cut and ready to be stitched...

I'll post an update when I finish ALL of Clue #2.

To see ALL the En Provence Mystery FUN, just follow this direct web link http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2016/12/mystery-monday-link-up-part-2.html

Back to finishing up Clue #2!

UPDATE 12/9/2016:  More Clue #2 units finished:

Half of Clue #2 Finished!
Did you happen to notice anything in the above photo?  Can you see that my magenta 'constant' fabrics are different?

Here's a better pic w/close-up of these two fabrics - which are almost a perfect colorway match, btw, just NOT the same pattern design:

Two magenta constants!  We will make this work!!

There's a very good reason for this...I ran out of fabric!  I was two (2) strips short, couldn't find ANYTHING in my stash that would come close to matching up - at least what I can get to right now...in the middle of a major re-organization project that's been going on for months now, hope to finish up in the New Year.

So, being a quilter we make do, right?  Especially when there is online fabric ordering w/FREE shipping and a terrific sale...Score!

I also must confess to cutting far too many strips of neutrals for Clue #1:

LOTS of Clue #1 extras - just in case I ran out...right!

Not really - I was just in a hurry to get started on Clue #1 and in my zeal, I just kept cutting and cutting and cutting like there was NO tomorrow.  I'll be ALL ready for the next Quiltville Mystery for sure ;-) Needless to say, had to add a few neutrals to my magenta order to be able to finish this Mystery!

Another confession - when I saw Clue #2, I started biting my lip with flashbacks of Celtic Solstice. This is NOT one of my favorite units to cut and/or create, sorry Bonnie.  (But I am getting better at these, especially after this week!)

The reason being - sewing not one but TWO bias edges together...yikes!  It can spell disaster if one enjoys sewing fast (me) AND using too heavy of a hand while sewing and pressing.  That's where my trusty stilletto comes in handy - NO pushy/grabby fingers for this touchy job.

No, no - this calls for a nice, light touch:

Sewing two bias edges together, aka "peaky & spike"...slowly and carefully!

And Mary Ellen's Best Press in Mint Splash Christmas GREEN can help make the pressing experience a tad more jolly ;-)



I spent the better part of the week, (in between quilting/binding/awarding Quilts of Valor), searching for alternative cutting/sewing methods in addition to what Bonnie generously provided - including Accuquilt Go! dies - and there just happens to be one...yippee!

There was another SALE.  I immediately treated myself to an early Christmas present and possibly, it 'might' be here by Christmas...sigh.  NO worries - there will be 'another' Bonnie Hunter Quiltville Mystery which WILL include this unit, since it is one of our Bonnie's favorite block units to add to her beloved Mysteries!

Accuquilt Go! Die #55027 - On Sale NOW!

UPDATE 12/12/2016:  Just heard back from the Accuquilt folks - this die has been oversold and will not ship until January, 2017!  Alrighty then, good thing we went to Plan B, which follows...

In desperation, had to start cutting to make sure I could get at least part of Clue #2 finished up prior to Clue #3 being released on Friday.  Pulled out the tried & true Tri-Recs tools and got busy cuttin'.  And yes, I did know when to stop cutting this time and not cut ALL my fabrics...sheesh ;-)

Mystery cutting tools...remember Celtic Solstice?

At least my fabric order arrived just in the nick of time with my NEW magenta:



Clue #2 Complete!

Clue #2 ALL finished - almost enough for two En Provence Mystery Quilts!


...and additional neutrals:

Mystery neutrals replenished...check!

Clue #3 has just been released and it's FULL of purple - my Mom's favorite color...it's going to be a very good PURPLE day...Enjoy!

And here they are in ALL their Purple Splendor:

Clue #3 - PURPLES!
Time to CUT...

Later,
~Deb

En Provence Intro
En Provence Part I
En Provence Part II
En Provence Part III
En Provence Part IV
En Provence Part V
En Provence Part VI & VII
En Provence FINISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment